Tuesday 12 February 2013

Ideas Ideas


I went to a fantastic conference on Saturday at Milton Keynes Christian Centre. 
The speaker was a guy by the name of Carlos Whittaker who used to head up the creative departments at Northpoint Community Church and is part of the creative team for the Catalyst conference.

The day was all about bridging the gap between the stage and the congregation....
You might relate to the picture on Sunday morning.... The band are worshipping away, passionately singing and playing, yet the congregation are stood arms crossed...

There seems to be a disconnect between the stage and the congregation...

Carlos then went on to discuss that disconnect and how we can bridge the gap. It was truly an inspiring day. I'll look to blog more fully on it soon...

But for now...

One thing that I took from it more than anything else was the challenge to consume your environment.

Carlos shared that each day a random alarm goes off on his phone and he makes observations about the environment he's in. He then tags the image or thought meaning that he is walking around each day creating a catalogue of ideas. Then when you're called upon to have an idea you can access that catalogue and bring things back to mind....

A great tool for doing this is evernote, although there are loads of other jotting softwares and apps as well.

I've started trying to take ideas from my environment, my alarm goes off each day and wherever I am I stop and come up with an idea! It's really enlightening and so easy to do

Why don't you try it....

Thanks Carlos for an idea that is revolutionising my creativity! 

No comments: