Monday 7 January 2013

Perfect?


Yesterday morning I had the privilege of leading our early morning communion service.
I spoke from the following passage in Hebrews 10:12-22

But when this priest had offered for all time one sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God, and since that time he waits for his enemies to be made his footstool. For by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy.
The Holy Spirit also testifies to us about this. First he says:
 “This is the covenant I will make with them
    after that time, says the Lord.
I will put my laws in their hearts,
    and I will write them on their minds.”
Then he adds:
“Their sins and lawless acts
    I will remember no more.”
And where these have been forgiven, sacrifice for sin is no longer necessary.

Therefore, brothers and sisters, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus, by a new and living way opened for us through the curtain, that is, his body, and since we have a great priest over the house of God, let us draw near to God with a sincere heart and with the full assurance that faith brings, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water.

My main point before sharing the bread and wine was to: Remember and thank
Remember the works of God in the past and give thanks. 
Remember the sacrifice of Christ and give thanks
Remember the resurrection from the dead and give thanks

One particular verse continued to spring out and challenge me....

For by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy.

Jesus blood shed on the cross, the atoning sacrifice for sin has made us perfect
I don't feel perfect, in fact, I know I'm not perfect...
But God sees us as perfect, he sees the complete us, the redeemed, the restored us.
There's no better achievement, no harder work, no more time we can give that will make God change how he sees and feels about us.

How do you interpret this verse?

I'm trying to figure this one out, It feels a bit uncomfortable. 
But it's driving me to remember and give thanks! 
Thank you that I can't get my head around all that you have done! 



No comments: