Friday 21 December 2012

Looking Ahead


It's getting to that time of year when, even before Christmas, I'm thinking to the New Year.

What will 2013 hold? Can it top 2012? 
For us it will include a new baby, a new house (hopefully) and lots of changes, it's going to be a big year! 

So, I find myself thinking resolutions. I really love the idea of resolutions. At the beginning of a new year, the opportunity to resolve to do something new or do something differently. As with most people, I start off with really good intentions, I start forming a new routine or habit and then something changes or happens and the resolution goes out of the window.  

Why is this? Why are New Year Resolutions so difficult to keep to?
Are we too busy to do new or different things?
Do we aspire too high and then can't reach?
Do we aim to low and lack motivation to see the resolution through?

As I was getting up this morning, I was thinking about all of this and decided that this year my resolutions are going to be slightly different.

In the past, I've always resolved to DO stuff. Join a gym, read the Bible more, spend more time with friends etc. All of which is great and I would like to do more of.

But, this year instead of resolving to do more, I'm going to resolve to be more
Instead of resolving to change activities, I'm going to resolve to change attitudes

Attitudes is a funny one, because we can often see what needs changing in other people's attitudes before we can see what needs to change in our own.

"I wish that person could be more positive"
"If only they'd listen"
"They just never stop talking"
"They always subtly complain"

So, this year, I'm going to look at myself and ask God, what needs changing in my attitude? 
How can I be more Christlike?
How can I be more graceful?
How can I be the person I am created and called to be?

Will you resolve with me this year to not just add or change activities, but to be and grow attitudes?

No comments: