Tuesday 7 September 2010

The Butterfly Effect by Andy Andrews

I have just finished reading the Butterfly Effect by Andy Andrews and it didn't take me too long to do so.... In fact it's the first book that I've read for ages that has pictures in it and that made a refreshing change.

The book is designed to inspire the reader that their life can really make a difference, not only that but that their life can be one of permanent purpose. Andrews illustrates this point by using the theory of the butterfly effect to suggest that the very things we take for granted now are the result of people who have made amazing contributions to the world through their lives. The challenge is that we can all be those people. Even though the things we do know might seem menial or ineffectual they could have an influence beyond our imagination and because of this everything we do matters!

I loved this book mainly because I wasn't expecting to! I wondered whether it's content justified it's cost, but having read it know it I know that is something I will refer to many times in the future. I love the concept of the spiritual butterfly effect and would love to see the church grasp that we can ALL truly make a difference and that the difference starts now!

If I were going to be critical it would be only inasmuch as saying that I would have loved to have read a book that explored the theme further. Yet this book caught my attention, excited my mind and engaged more than one sense and as such is a great read that I would highly recommend to anyone, particularly those who perhaps need a burst of encouragement in their walk with God.

No comments: